Monday, March 22, 2010

Spring Cleaning

I've been doing a lot of it lately...

Time for a cleaning

All winter long I ride the same bike to minimize the destruction that road salt and sand cause. This year that bike was a Salsa Vaya. I set it up with flat bars and down tube friction shifters along with a set of 45mm wide tires and a rear rack. The tires helped keep the rubber side down and the rear rack kept weight off my back.

That bike has now gone through a complete overhaul. Torn down and rebuilt, getting a new test wheelset and drivetrain. Everything else has been de-salinated and re-lubed. The drop bars and STI shifters went back on, making this a bike for slaying gravel and smooth singletrack (most of the trails in MPLS).

Along with a rebuild of the Vaya I also rebuilt my Fargo, and Ti La Cruz. I'm waiting patiently for a Salsa Ti El Mariachi...It can't come soon enough.

7 comments:

  1. I have to say, I'm not thrilled about the Ti El Mariachi. I get it, and understand why, but to kill off the steel for only Ti IMO is a mistake. I sold a Lynskey Pro 29 for my El Mariachi and love it... no regrets. Ti to me is a dead feeling mountainbike material... steel is Goldy Locks porridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fatbob29r,
    We are all entitled to our opinions. You are jumping to conclusions and making a false judgement by saying that Salsa is killing off the steel El Mariachi. If you've been to www.salsacycles.com since its re-design you should have seen the placeholder for the return of the steel El Mariachi.

    I've owned a Ti hardtail in the past and loved it. I felt it was a much more lively feeling frame than any of my steel frames and lighter as well. Hence the statement, we are all entitled to our opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta say Joe, it must be nice to have all the cool toys in your garage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe,

    Indeed, jumping to conclusions is bad, glad you guys aren't killing off the steel El and glad Ti has worked for you in the past and will hopefully work well for you moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agreed with one bike for the winter. I like how you set up that Vaya and I am sure it was a cool ride. Now if I could only understand what Crazy is writing up there.
    Ari
    See you at T.I.

    ReplyDelete